Good morning!
My eyes flutter open of their own free will. The last thing I recall is blinking. Each time, my eyes stay closed a little longer bringing me a little closer to something I've forgotten; we've all forgotten.
Here I am. It's early. The grass seems metallic as the rising sunlight hits the morning dew. I'm standing alone in the silence. The beauty of the sunrise overwhelms me. Rays of light from the East pierce the clear blue sky like a volley of arrows. Yet there is peace.
Birds chirp off and on then off again. They're far away but they sound as sweet as the honeysuckle.
I stand at a crossroads. Someone is walking steadily towards me. By the grace of God, the stranger walks with the grace of only a woman. I realize that this is one of His greatest gifts to man; that she is so unlike him.
Blue is my favorite color. I see it everywhere and wear it around my soul. I can’t help myself.
The stranger approaches with patience before each step. I look to the sky again. Tears of joy streak my face though they are not my own.
I look down again and see the stranger once more. The tall, tall trees reach towards the sky and then, realizing their mistake, for each other, forming a grand corridor. The stranger saunters ever onward through the archway.
She walks onward; always onward. The trees pull apart for her, revealing the night sky. There are no stars but a brilliant light like I’ve never seen is just out of view.
The stranger pauses for a moment just in front of me. I meet her eyes and I fall in, losing myself for a long, long time. I am warm for the first time in a long time.
They radiate the deepest blue I’ve ever known. I feel it straight through to my core. I see everything from the top of the highest mountain and from the depths of the deepest ocean. I let myself go entirely limp. I float. Upstream or downstream I don’t know or care. I feel the sweetest relief and I relish it.
But then something or someone has grabbed me by the ankles. He or she or it is pulling me away. I panic. I try to scream but the only sound is the birds still chirping in the distance. I reach out desperately for a handhold but there is nothing.
I’m standing between the trees again. The stranger smiles at me for a moment before walking on past me. The trees come together again in her wake.
She’s not a stranger. I think about her often and wonder if she does the same. The comfort in those eyes is the same comfort in that voice; in her mere presence.
I’ve made a mistake. I try to turn around and call after her but the Earth has swallowed up my feet and I have no voice.
There’s so much I want to tell her! I see little things everyday that only make me think of you and wish you were here. I’ve met this girl who wanted to be friends but I can’t ever look at her without thinking of you.
She’s still smiling as she walks away, as if she can hear me. She’s always smiling.
Good morning!
My eyes flutter open of their own free will. I reach for the phone and the number dials itself. I sit up as I hear the rounded electronic trill in my ear. Once. Twice. Three times.
I notice the clock on the wall. It’s late enough to be early. It’s even earlier where she is.
“Hey! You’ve reached…”
Click
There’s always tomorrow.
*sigh*. I have nothing but to *sigh*. Such regret. "I've made a mistake". Sometimes to turn a mistake takes only a whisper. Other times it is like turning an oceanliner....barges and tugboats, clanging, scraping, pushing. I love that whichever it is, or may be, you picked up the phone. Even if there is no turning, there will be less regret, than having not dialed.
ReplyDeleteWishing you happiness.
such sincerity in the call, but to no response. the distance adds to the uncertainty.. the anxious feeling of not knowing if she thinks as much as you do... if the feeling remains... if it's too soon to call again.
ReplyDeleteall these questions only leave us more alone, buried within revolving thought. i'm glad you actually called and that you know there is a tomorrow to try again.
Dreams are such curious things.
ReplyDeletehttp://swordsintoplows.blogspot.com